Saturday, January 24, 2015

It Has Begun (AKA I Have No Idea How To Edit This Mess)

BIG NEWS.


This is perfect.
GUYS.
I CAN'T

THE EDITS. THEY HAVE BEGUN.



      To celebrate, I used what few pictures I have of Bethany looking happy! (Okay, okay. That was a bit uncalled for.) If you watch Downton Abbey, you're recognize her as Lady Rose. I swear, the two of them are like, identical fictional twins. *nodnod*
      I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but I'm having fun! I've rewritten parts of chapter 1--which is now considerably longer--and an opening I'm absolutely in love with. 

I won't say what's important about number 213. :P
    Right now I'm working through a read-through of my first draft (and trying not to cringe every few seconds), along with reading Go Teen Writers: The Book and doing some of the worksheets in it! It's super helpful, as is their blog. I mean, it's not like I've been stalking the editing tag on there or anything. *whistles innocently* Nope, don't know what you're talking about. :ninjaface:
     Also: research. And lots of it. Because I decided to write Empty Alibi about a week before November 1st and didn't have nearly enough time to research, I'm getting around to some of the things I should have looked up before. Namely...
  • NYC Geography. In general (I mean, it might be good to know where, exactly, Brooklyn and Manhattan lie in relation to Long Island) and also, specifics. For example, I spent this afternoon on Wikipedia reading general histories of different neighborhoods in NYC that were upperclass in the '20s. I also found a closer alternative to Long Island: Port Washington. It's gorgeous. You should look it up. 
  • Popular films, music, books, etc in 1923/early 1924. In the first few pages of Draft 2, I got to reference Yes! We Have No Bananas (an insanely popular song of the early 20s) and Ain't We Got Fun? (another song). Also, a minor character may or may not have fangirled over Douglas Fairbanks. :P

      I also constructed a broad outline using my first draft as reference. There's a lot of things that are changing, and a lot of key scenes are getting booted out (as much as it hurts me to do so). BUT, there are some really fun elements I'm looking forward to putting in! Like, a completely new character is getting...well...poisoned. But don't worry! There's no death as a result of this. Maybe. Hopefully. I'm not sure. .-.
    ALSO. I'M MAKING CHARACTER COLLAGES AGAIN. I HADN'T REALIZED HOW MUCH I MISSED THIS. 
Ouch. 
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww<3

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

     Alright. I'm out. :P








6 comments:

  1. Ah editing. One of the best parts of the writing process.

    I wish you the best of luck with your project. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma!
    I stumbled across your blog not that long ago and I love it! I was wondering--how do you make your collages? Is there like a website you use or something?
    thanks!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Abby! Thanks so much! I make all my collages on Picmonkey.com. :)

      Delete
  3. Editing is tricky, but at least you have a lot to look forward to as you get finished. The GTW book is great, no? :)

    ReplyDelete

Got a thought on this post?